CZ EN




About Krásna Hôrka Castle


Krásna Hôrka Castle is located in Slovakia on a mountain dominating Rožňava basin, 488mts above sea level. Its beginning dates back into 13th Century, when the king Béla IV. donated the surrounding lands to Filip and Detrik, the sons of Matúš Ákos. The Ákos family sold a part of their lands to Mariássy family, but in 1318, five of Detrik´s grandsons protested against this. There was a litigation won by the Detrik´s family in 1322. Seven years later, the castle was mentioned as the property of Dominik, Detrik´s grandson.

Dominik´s children started re-building the castle. They enlarged the fortification around the tower, built a rectangular palace, and carved a well into the rocks. The castle remained in this state until 16th Century. After the Mohacs Battle in 1526, the count František Bubek had a secret mint factory built in the castle. False coins were made there. In 1541, the Turkish army settled down in Budín. František Bubek improved the fortification by building massive cannon bastions. In 1554, the Turks occupied another of Bubek´s castles, Filakovo, and Bubek changed his political views . He supported the Transylvanian duke Zapolsky, who was on the Turkish side. This raised king Ferdinand´s wrath. The king sent an army to Krásna Hôrka, but the royal troops were defeated. However, the second battle in 1566 was successful and the castle was conquered. Soon, the last male member of the Bubek family died and the castle changed its owners.

The next owner became Peter Andrássy. Andrássy family turned the castle into a comfortable noble seat. In 1770, Stefan III had the southern cannon bastion rebuilt into a chapel. Andrássy deposited the family tombs there, including the naturally mummified remains of Sophia Serédy, the wife of Stefan I. Andrássy. In 1817, lightning set a fire in the castle. Stefan III. Andrássy´s widow, Maria Festetic, had the ruins repaired. Her son Georg opened a family museum in the castle in 1857. From 1875, the castle was opened to the public. It belonged to Andrássy family until 1945. In 1961, it was declared the State Cultural Heritage. From 1996, it has been a part of Betliar Museum.

On March 10, 2012, huge fire destroyed parts of the castle, especially the roofs. The heat of the fire melted three bells. The damage was worth 8,000,000 EUR. Fortunately, major parts of the furnishing and collection items were rescued. Recently, the castle is closed due to renovation. Most probably it will be opened again in 2023.



ARCHITECTURE OF THE CASTLE

Originally, the castle consisted of a tower and a defense wall. Gradually, new buildings, palaces, accommodation and farm buildings were added. In 16th Century, large renovations were made. The castle got its triangular shape with semi-circular bastions in the corners and the original castle was in the middle of the area. The entrance was protected by a semi-circular bastion in the South-East. The other entrance in the South-West was created by a gate and a drawbridge. There was a broad terrace with heavy cannons made in 1545-1547 between the bastions. The Andrassys changed the upper castle into a noble place and finished building the lower castle. They built the lower gate under the cannon bastion, prolonged the yard and built houses for the servants and farm buildings. In 17th Century they built a palace wing, connected it with the main palace and built a court room. They built a new roofed balcony and a staircase into the palace. They added one more floor to the palace, new building between the palaces, kitchen and bakery.

Texts M. Konopka and S. Čechalová


Krásna Hôrka
Krásna Hôrka 01
Krásna Hôrka
Krásna Hôrka 02
Krásna Hôrka
Krásna Hôrka 03
Krásna Hôrka
Krásna Hôrka 04
Krásna Hôrka
Krásna Hôrka 05


You can order in our e-shop.



Back

This site uses cookies for providing services.You accept using cookies by browsing this website. More info



QR

FB TW GG